- Coloring Party
- Cooking Class
- Eggs and Cheese
- Farm to table
- Food Images
- Food Styling
- French Cooking
- Gluten Free
- In Season
- Italian Culinary Institute
- Mission Critical – End Hunger
- Paleo Approved
- Paleo-Southern Style
- Party and Entertaining
- Photography Contests
- Project 52
- Share Our Strength
- Simple – 5 ingredients or less
- Simple Pleasures
- Southern Inspired
Category Archives: Fast
Here’s a healthy fresh dinner from grill to table in about a half hour. Start with the slaw while the grill heats up. Brush the chicken pieces with the chili sauce. Enjoy a few sips of your favorite chilled beverage while the slaw marinates a few minutes. Assemble the lettuce or cabbage cups with the slaw and grill the chicken skewers. Top the slaw with the grilled chicken and enjoy. This recipe can be made with pork too. The white balsamic vinegar in the slaw is less acidic and tart than regular vinegar. If using white vinegar, add a teaspoon or so of fine sugar.
Recipe adapted from Donna Hay Magazine
Chili Grilled Chicken Skewers with Pickled Slaw
Author: Adapted from Donna Hay Magazine
- 3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise or use the bagged shredded carrots found in the produce section
- Sea Salt
- ½ cup white balsamic vinegar
- 3 cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into large cubes
- ¼ cup Thai Chili Sauce
- Large leaf lettuce of Chinese cabbage leaves
- Cilantro leaves
- Lime Wedges
- Toss the carrot strips with a pinch of salt and the vinegar. (if using white vinegar, dissolve 1 tsp of sugar in the vinegar before adding the carrots)
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add the cucumber strips and mix well.
- Thread the chicken pieces onto skewers and brush with the chili sauce.
- Preheat a gas grill or grill pan on high heat.
- Cook the chicken about 4 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Fill the leaves with the pickled slaw and top with the skewers.
- Serve with fresh cilantro leaves and lime wedges.